How to install Pylons using the A2 QuickInstaller
This article describes how to use the A2 QuickInstaller to install Pylons, a Python-based web application framework.
The A2 QuickInstaller is no longer supported, and is only available on older VPS hosting packages. On newer VPS hosting packages, you can use Webuzo
to quickly and easily install a wide range of applications and manage your server.
To check if the A2 QuickInstaller supports this application for your Linux distribution, please see this article
To install Pylons, follow these steps:
- Use SSH to log in to your system as the root user.
To use the A2 QuickInstaller, you must log in as the root user using SSH. You cannot use the serial console in the VPS Control Panel to run the A2 QuickInstaller.
- To start the A2 QuickInstaller, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- Under Application Installers, type the option number for Frameworks, and then press ENTER.
- On the Framework Menu, type the option number for Pylon, and then press ENTER. The A2 QuickInstaller updates your system, and then begins the installation process.
The installation process takes some time to complete. Do not interrupt the installation process.
- The A2 QuickInstaller notifies you when installation is complete.
Creating a Pylons test application
To create a test application and verify that Pylons installed correctly, follow these steps:
- To activate the Pylons virtual environment, type the following command at the command line, and then press ENTER:
To create a test project, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
paster create -t pylons helloworld
- At the Enter template_engine prompt, press ENTER.
- At the Enter sqlalchemy prompt, press ENTER.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- To change the development server URL, edit the development.ini file. In the [server:main] section, change the host value to your system's domain name or IP address. You can also change the port value if you want to run the development server on a port different from the default value of 5000.
To start the development server, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
paster serve --reload development.ini
After the development server starts, type the following URL in your browser, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx represents your server's IP address or domain name:
You should see the default Pylons page:
Welcome to Pylons
For more information about Pylons, please visit http://www.pylonsproject.org.
- Application Servers
You can use the A2 QuickInstaller to install a wide variety of application servers with just a few keystrokes. You can install a LAMP stack, nginx, and more.
The Django web application framework is easy to install with the A2 QuickInstaller.
Meteor is an open source framework for developing web sites. Learn how to install it using the A2 QuickInstaller here.
Grails is a web development framework based on the Groovy programming language that’s easy to install using the A2 QuickInstaller.