Connecting to Windows Remote Desktop on Windows VPS
This article describes how to obtain access and connect to Remote Desktop for Windows VPS.
Remote Desktop uses Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), which provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for remote connections.
To obtain access and connect to Remote Desktop for Windows VPS, follow these steps:
Step #1: Request Remote Desktop access
To request Remote Desktop access, follow these steps:
- Log in to the Customer Portal.
If you do not know how to log in to the Customer Portal, please see this article
- On the black menu bar, click
, and then click .
- On the following page, in the Categories list at the left, click Support Requests.
- On the Support Requests page, scroll down to the Remote Desktop Account (Windows Managed VPS) box, and then click .
- Complete the Configure page as follows:
- Contact Name: Type the name of the person who will use Remote Desktop Access. This does not need to be the account holder's name; it can be a developer or administrator instead.
- Email address: Type the e-mail address of the person who will use Remote Desktop Access. This e-mail address receives a copy of the notification when setup is complete.
- Username: Type the username you want to use for Remote Desktop Access.
- Password: Type the password you want to use for Remote Desktop Access.
- Domain Name: Type a domain name to use when connecting via Remote Desktop Access. The domain must resolve to the IP address of the server. Alternatively, you can use the server's IP address directly.
- Enable Let's Encrypt: Click yes to create an SSL certificate for the domain name specified above. The domain must resolve to the IP address of the server for the certificate to be created.
- Click .
- On the following page, click .
- There is no charge for one Remote Desktop connection. On the Checkout page, select the Check or MO check box as the payment method.
- Agree to the Terms of Service by selecting the Terms of Service checkbox.
- Complete the order by clicking
Step #2: Connect to Remote Desktop
To connect to Remote Desktop, follow these steps:
This example is for the Windows Remote Desktop Connection client, but you do not have to use a Windows client to connect to a Windows VPS. Remote Desktop Connection clients are also available for Mac OS X and Linux operating systems.
- Start the Remote Desktop Connection client.
- In the Computer text box, type the domain name or IP address of the server:
- Click .
In the next dialog box, click to confirm the VPS is trusted:
The next dialog box asks for login credentials. Type the username and password you provided when requesting access:
. A progress bar appears briefly, and then the remote desktop appears.
Additional connections are available for purchase. Please open a support ticket
with Sales on the A2 Hosting Customer Portal.