How to use Server Rewind to restore e-mail
This article describes how to use the Server Rewind feature in cPanel to restore e-mail.
- Please note that this process completely replaces all e-mail on the account. Make sure you back up your e-mails before proceeding.
- Server Rewind is not available on managed VPS accounts with root access (Core VPS).
For server performance and stability reasons, Server Rewind is unavailable during scheduled maintenance periods:
- For accounts hosted at the U.S. data center, Server Rewind is unavailable daily between 3:00 AM and 5:00 AM Eastern Standard Time (and between 3:00 AM and 5:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time, when applicable).
- For accounts hosted at the Iceland data center, Server Rewind is unavailable daily between 3:00 AM and 5:00 AM GMT.
Backups and Server Rewind
All A2 Hosting servers have redundant hard drives for real-time RAID 1 mirrored backups. We also provide off-server backups. These server backups are stored for the last 30 days on a best-effort basis. To do a restore from one of these backups, use the Server Rewind feature in cPanel.
If you require assistance from our Guru Crew in retrieving backups, please open a support ticket on the Customer Portal at https://my.a2hosting.com. In the ticket, please specify what you want to restore, and we will make a best effort to restore your data.
We recommend that you maintain your own backups as well. If you create full or partial backups using the cPanel Backup feature
, however, please do not save multiple copies of backups on your hosting account. For more information, please see section 8 of our Terms of Service
Restoring e-mail with Server Rewind
To restore e-mail using Server Rewind, follow these steps:
- Before using Server Rewind, back up your e-mail off-site, and then remove the mail directory from the account entirely.
An easy way to back up e-mail is to set up a client application to access your accounts using POP. POP downloads all e-mail messages locally to your computer. For information about how to do this, please see this article
- In the Files section of the cPanel home screen, click Server Rewind.
- Select the date that contains the e-mails you want to restore. To expand a date, click the + icon.
- Select the mail directory.
Make sure you leave the Restore into this location in my home directory text box empty.
- Click Restore! The restoration process begins.
The length of time to complete the restore process depends on directory size, the number and size of the files, and so on.
- Server Rewind
You can use the Server Rewind feature to restore your files and databases with just a few clicks.
- cPanel File Manager
Learn how to use the web-based cPanel File Manager to easily manage your web site’s files.
Learn how to download backups and restore them to your web site by using cPanel.