How to update Joomla
This article describes two methods for updating a Joomla site.
You should update a Joomla installation frequently to ensure it is running the latest version. There are several reasons for this:
- Security: Joomla updates contain fixes that patch security vulnerabilities. One of the most important things you can do to maintain a more secure Joomla site is apply updates regularly.
- Stability: Joomla updates contain fixes that patch bugs and other issues. Your site is more stable when you apply the latest updates.
- New features: Joomla is continually improving, and by running the latest version, you have access to the latest features and functionality.
Use either of the following methods to update Joomla.
Method #1: Softaculous
If you used Softaculous to install Joomla, you can also use it to update Joomla. For information about how to do this, please see this article.
Method #2: Manual update
To manually update Joomla, follow these steps:
- Log in to Joomla as the administrator.
- On the top menu bar, click Components, and then click Joomla! Update. Joomla determines if there are any updates available.
- If there is an update available, click
. Joomla installs the update.
The update process can take a few minutes.