How to install MyBB using Softaculous
This article describes how to install the MyBB forum using the Softaculous installer in cPanel.
This application is only available in Softaculous Premium. If you are using Softaculous on a managed VPS, you must upgrade to Softaculous Premium to install this application. If you need further assistance, please open a ticket at http://my.a2hosting.com
You can have MyBB up and running on your web site in minutes by using the Softaculous application installer in cPanel.
To install MyBB using Softaculous, follow these steps:
- Log in to cPanel.
If you do not know how to log in to your cPanel account, please see this article
- In the SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER section of the cPanel home screen, click any of the options under Categories. The Softaculous installer page appears.
It does not matter which option you click under Categories. All of them start the Softaculous installer.
- In the Search text box, type mybb and then press Enter.
Alternatively, you can use the navigation pane on the left side. To do this, click Forums, and then click MyBB.
- Click Install. The installation page appears.
- In the Choose Protocol list box, select the protocol.
If you have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select https:// or https://www. If you do not have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select http:// or http://www.
- In the Choose Domain list box, select the domain for installation, or accept the default value.
- In the In Directory text box, type the directory where you want to install the application, or accept the default value.
If you want your domain name to go directly to the application, make sure the In Directory text box is blank.
- In the Site Name text box, type the site name.
- In the Board Name text box, type the name of the forum. By default, the board name appears in the title bar of users' web browsers when they visit your site.
- In the Board Email text box, type the e-mail address of the forum.
- In the Admin Username text box, type the administrator username.
- In the Admin Password text box, type the administrator password.
Make sure that you choose a strong password! The Softaculous installer provides a ranking for your password's strength, and turns green when the password is strong. Alternatively, you can click the
icon next to the Admin Password
text box, and Softaculous generates a strong, random password for you.
- In the Admin Email text box, type the site administrator e-mail address.
- In the Select Language list box, select the default language for the application.
- Click the icon to expand Advanced Options.
- In the Database Name text box, type the name of the database to create for the application, or accept the default value.
- In the Table Prefix text box, type the database table prefix, or accept the default value.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available, select the Disable Update Notifications Emails check box.
A2 Hosting strongly recommends that you receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available. Keeping your site updated helps prevent unauthorized access attempts and data loss.
- To automatically update the application when updates are available, select the Auto Upgrade check box.
- In the Backup Location list box, you can select a location to store application backups.
- In the Automated backups list box, you can select whether or not Softaculous makes periodic backups of your application.
- In the Backup Rotation list box, you can select how often Softaculous overwrites the oldest backup file with a new backup file.
- To receive site configuration information after the installation is complete, type an e-mail address in the Email installation details to text box.
- Review the installation options and settings, and then click
. When installation is complete, Softaculous provides information about the application's configuration.
What is MyBB?
MyBB is a PHP-based forum solution that was created by Chris Boulton. The forum solution was originally known as MyBulletinBoard and then MyBBoard before it settled on its current name of MyBB. In fact, Boulton and his team of developers released another solution called DevBB as a stopgap solution before MyBulletinBoard was released in 2002. MyBulletinBoard was developed as a fork of the forum software XMB and was first released publicly in December of 2003.
MyBB has an excellent reputation for being easy to use and highly customizable. It offers a number of powerful administration tools that allow forum owners to fully take control of their communities.
MyBB is loaded with features that have helped it become one of the most reputable and powerful forum solutions available today. Here are just a few of MyBB's features that have helped it build their well deserved reputation.
- User-Friendly – MyBB's development team decided from the start that they wanted to create easy-to-use forum software, and they ultimately succeeded. They also created a forum that will help you improve your productivity. It all begins with MyBB's intuitive interface that will make your moderation tasks particularly painless. From creating threads to editing your community profiles to managing your forum's announcements, managing your MyBB forum is a pleasure.
- Powerful Plugin System – MyBB offers an extensive range of extensions that will give you the ability to customize your forum and add the specific functionality that you need. MyBB's uses hooks to power their extension system. The hooks give plugins the ability to run code wherever you place the hook. This makes it especially easy to customize your forum because you won't be required to edit any files. This is perfect for beginner users.
- Customizable Forum Appearance – You'll be able to match the appearance of your forum to your existing site or simply make your forum look how you want it with MyBB's innovative theme system. MyBB offers support for both multiple styling sheets as well as both simple and more advanced stylesheet editors.
- Advanced Messaging System – MyBB comes complete with a private messaging solution giving each of your members the ability to speak privately with one another. Just like email, your users will also have the option to send messages to multiple users at once, not just one member. Your forum users can search through previous messages as well as to find older conversations.
- Additional Forum Posting Options – Yes, MyBB gives your forum members the ability to publish traditional text based posts. MyBB offers a number of additional options that your community will love including videos (even directly from YouTube) as well as polls. The quick reply option will keep the conversation flowing by giving your members the ability to respond to other posts without having to be directed to a new page. It will seem more like a real time conversation for your users! In addition, you'll find that most forums give you the option to quote a previous post in a reply. MyBB offers both that functionality as well as the ability to quote multiple posts within a user reply.