How to install TurboGears using the A2 QuickInstaller
This article describes how to use the A2 QuickInstaller to install TurboGears, a Python-based web development framework.
The A2 QuickInstaller is no longer supported, and is only available on older VPS hosting packages. On newer VPS hosting packages, you can use Webuzo
to quickly and easily install a wide range of applications and manage your server.
To check if the A2 QuickInstaller supports this application for your Linux distribution, please see this article
To install TurboGears, follow these steps:
- Use SSH to log in to your system as the root user.
To use the A2 QuickInstaller, you must log in as the root user using SSH. You cannot use the serial console in the VPS Control Panel to run the A2 QuickInstaller.
- To start the A2 QuickInstaller, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- Under Application Installers, type the option number for Frameworks, and then press ENTER.
- On the Framework Menu, type the option number for TurboGears, and then press ENTER. The A2 QuickInstaller updates your system, and then begins the installation process.
The installation process takes some time to complete. Do not interrupt the installation process.
- The A2 QuickInstaller notifies you when installation is complete.
Creating a TurboGears test application
To create a test application and verify that TurboGears installed correctly, follow these steps:
- To activate the TurboGears virtual environment, type the following command at the command line, and then press ENTER:
To create a test project, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
paster quickstart testproject
- At the Enter package name prompt, press ENTER.
- At the Would you prefer mako templates? prompt, press ENTER.
- At the Do you need authentication and authorization in this project? prompt, press ENTER.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- To change the development server URL, edit the development.ini file. In the [server:main] section, change the host value to the system's domain name or IP address. You can also change the port value if you want to run the development server on port different from the default value of 8080.
Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:
python setup.py develop
paster setup-app development.ini
paster serve development.ini
After the development server starts, type the following URL in your browser, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx represents your server's IP address or domain name:
You should see the default page for the site.
For more information about TurboGears, please visit http://turbogears.org.
- Application Servers
You can use the A2 QuickInstaller to install a wide variety of application servers with just a few keystrokes. You can install a LAMP stack, nginx, and more.
The Django web application framework is easy to install with the A2 QuickInstaller.
Pylons is a collection of Python-based web application frameworks. Learn how to install it with the A2 QuickInstaller here.
Meteor is an open source framework for developing web sites. Learn how to install it using the A2 QuickInstaller here.
Grails is a web development framework based on the Groovy programming language that’s easy to install using the A2 QuickInstaller.