How to install Piwik manually
This article describes how to manually install the Piwik analytics platform on your A2 Hosting account.
If you have a shared, reseller, or managed Flex Dedicated Server account, you can use Softaculous in cPanel to guide you through the Piwik installation process. For other account types, or if you want to use the most recent version, you must install Piwik manually.
Piwik is compatible with all A2 Hosting accounts.
Although A2 Hosting servers are compatible with a wide variety of software applications, we cannot provide troubleshooting assistance for application-specific issues.
To install Piwik manually, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account using SSH, and then type the following commands:
curl -O http://builds.piwik.org/piwik.zip
After you run these commands, there is a ~/public_html/piwik directory that contains the Piwik application files.
Create a MySQL database and database user for Piwik. You will need this information during the web configuration process.
- If your account includes cPanel, please see this article for information about how to create a MySQL database and user.
- If your account does not include cPanel, you can create a MySQL database and user from the command line. For information about how to do this, please see this article.
- Use your web browser to go to http://www.example.com/piwik, where example.com represents your domain name. The Piwik Welcome page appears.
Click System Check page appears:. The
- On managed accounts, no additional system configuration should be required.
- On unmanaged servers, you may have to install some additional system components to meet the Piwik requirements.
Click Database Setup page appears:. The
- In the Database Server text box, type localhost.
- In the Login text box, type the name of the database user you created in step 2.
- In the Password text box, type the password for the database user you created in step 2.
- In the Database Name text box, type the name of the database you created in step 2.
- In the Table Prefix text box, you can specify a table prefix for the database.
- In the Adapter list box, select PDO\MYSQL.
- Click Creating the Tables page appears. After a few seconds, you should receive a Tables created with success! message.. The
Click Super User page appears:. The
- In the Super user login text box, type the administrator username that you want to use.
- In the Password and Password (repeat) text boxes, type the administrator password that you want to use.
- In the Email text box, type the e-mail address that you want to use with Piwik.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail updates from Piwik, clear the email me with major Piwik community updates check box.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail messages from Piwik about promotional offers, clear the send me information on Piwik PRO services and offers check box.
Click Setup a Website page appears:. The
Click Tracking code page appears:. The
- If you use a content management system (CMS) or web application on your site, it may support Piwik integration. For more information, please visit https://piwik.org/integrate.
Click Congratulations page appears:. The
- To change the default Piwik settings, clear the check boxes.
- Click . The Piwik login page appears.
- To log in, use the Piwik administrator username and password that you specified in step 7. After you log in, the Piwik Dashboard page appears.
For more information about Piwik, please visit http://piwik.org.