How To Update Magento
This article describes how to update a Magento site.
You should update a Magento site frequently to ensure it is running the latest version. There are several reasons for this:
- Security: Magento updates contain fixes that patch security vulnerabilities. One of the most important things you can do to maintain a more secure site is apply updates regularly.
- Stability: Magento updates contain fixes that patch bugs and other issues. Your site is more stable when you apply the latest updates.
- New features: Magento is continually improving, and by running the latest version, you have access to the latest features and functionality.
Use either of the following methods to update Magento.
Method #1: Softaculous
If you used Softaculous to install Magento, you can also use it to update Magento. For information about how to do this, please see this article.
Method #2: Manual update
You can also update Magento manually. Follow the appropriate procedure below for your version of Magento.
To update Magento 2 manually, follow these steps:
- If you have not already done so, enable the Magento command-line interface (CLI). For information about how to do this, please see this article.
- Log in to your account using SSH.
- At the command prompt, type the following command:
If you installed Magento 2 in a subdirectory, change to that directory instead. For example, if you installed Magento in a subdirectory named mag2, you would type cd ~/public_html/mag2.
To update Magento, type the following command:
Magento 1.9 and older versions
For detailed instructions about how to do a manual update with older versions of Magento, please see the following official Magento documentation: