How to use a subdomain as an account's primary domain
This article describes how to use a subdomain as an account's primary domain. For example, you may have clients who have not purchased a domain name yet. In this scenario, you can go ahead and create their account, and they can start developing their site. In the meantime, they access their site by using a subdomain of another account.
Creating the account
The first step is to create the account that will use the subdomain. To do this, follow the same steps to create the account that you do for other accounts. The only difference is that when you specify the domain, make sure you include the subdomain. For example, if you want to use a subdomain named testing for the example.com domain, specify testing.example.com as the domain when you create the account.
For information about how to create an account in WebHost Manager, please see this article.
Editing the DNS zone
After you create the account, you must edit the DNS zone for the primary domain. Using the example above for the testing.example.com subdomain, the example.com domain's DNS zone must be updated. Specifically, you must add an A record for the subdomain that points to the IP address of the new account.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Log in to WebHost Manager.
- From the WebHost Manager home screen, click DNS Functions, and then click Edit DNS Zone.
- Select the primary domain, and then click
. The DNS zone information for the domain appears.
- Scroll down the page to the Add New Entries Below this Line section.
- In the first text box, type the name of the subdomain. Leave the value 14400 in the second text box.
- In the list box, select A.
- In the IP or Hostname text box that appears, type the IP address of the account you created for the subdomain.
- Scroll to the end of the page, and then click
. WebHost Manager updates the DNS zone.
- After DNS propagation finishes, you can access the new account using the subdomain.
- Managing WHM accounts
After you have created at least one package in WebHost Manager, you can create an account. Learn how to create, modify, and delete accounts here.
- Managing WHM packages
Before you can create a customer account in WebHost Manager, you must first create a package. A package is a collection of predefined settings for an account. Learn how to set up packages in this article.