How to install WordPress using Softaculous
This article describes how to install WordPress using the Softaculous installer in cPanel.
This application is only available in Softaculous Premium. If you need further assistance, please open a ticket at http://my.a2hosting.com
You can have a WordPress site up and running in minutes by using the Softaculous application installer in cPanel.
To install WordPress using Softaculous, follow these steps:
- Log in to cPanel.
If you do not know how to log in to your cPanel account, please see this article
- In the SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER section of the cPanel home screen, click any of the options under Categories. The Softaculous installer page appears.
It does not matter which option you click under Categories. All of them start the Softaculous installer.
- In the Search text box, type wordpress and then press Enter.
Alternatively, you can use the navigation pane on the left side. To do this, click Blogs, and then click WordPress.
- Click Install. The installation page appears.
- In the Choose Protocol list box, select the protocol.
If you have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select https:// or https://www. If you do not have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select http:// or http://www.
- In the Choose Domain list box, select the domain for installation, or accept the default value.
- In the In Directory text box, type the directory where you want to install the application, or accept the default value.
If you want your domain name to go directly to the application, make sure the In Directory text box is blank.
- In the Site Name text box, type the site name. By default, the site name appears in the title bar of users' web browsers when they visit your site.
- In the Site Description text box, type the site description. By default, the site description also appears in the title bar of users' web browsers when they visit your site.
- To enable the WordPress Multisite feature (also known as WordPress Multiuser or WPMU), select the check box.
- In the Admin Username text box, type the administrator username.
- In the Admin Password text box, type the administrator password.
Make sure that you choose a strong password! The Softaculous installer provides a ranking for your password's strength, and turns green when the password is strong. Alternatively, you can click the
icon next to the Admin Password
text box, and Softaculous generates a strong, random password for you.
- In the Admin Email text box, type the site administrator e-mail address.
- In the Select Language list box, select the default language for the application.
- To limit the number of login attempts, under Select Plugin(s), select the Limit Login Attempts check box.
Limiting the number of login attempts can help increase the security of your WordPress installation.
- Click the icon to expand Advanced Options.
- In the Database Name text box, type the name of the database to create for the application, or accept the default value.
- In the Table Prefix text box, type the database table prefix, or accept the default value.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available, select the Disable Update Notifications Emails check box.
A2 Hosting strongly recommends that you receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available. Keeping your site updated helps prevent unauthorized access attempts and data loss.
- To automatically update the application when updates are available, select the Auto Upgrade check box.
- To automatically update plugins when updates are available, select the Auto Upgrade WordPress Plugins check box.
- To automatically update themes when updates are available, select the Auto Upgrade WordPress Themes check box.
- In the Backup Location list box, you can select a location to store application backups.
- In the Automated backups list box, you can select whether or not Softaculous makes periodic backups of your application.
- In the Backup Rotation list box, you can select how often Softaculous overwrites the oldest backup file with a new backup file.
- To receive site configuration information after the installation is complete, type an e-mail address in the Email installation details to text box.
- Review the installation options and settings, and then click
. When installation is complete, Softaculous provides information about the application's configuration.
For more information about WordPress, please visit http://wordpress.org.