How to install Symphony CMS
This article describes how to install the Symphony CMS (content management system) on your A2 Hosting account.
If you want to install the similarly named Symfony
PHP Framework (which is unrelated to the Symphony CMS) please see this article
Symphony is compatible with all A2 Hosting accounts. However, you must install it manually.
Although A2 Hosting servers are compatible with a wide variety of software applications, we cannot provide troubleshooting assistance for application-specific issues.
To install Symphony:
- Download the Symphony application at http://www.getsymphony.com/download to your local computer.
- Extract the .zip file on your computer.
- Use FTP to upload the contents of the extracted symphony-2.3.4 folder to the public_html directory of your A2 Hosting account. (The exact name of the extracted folder may vary based on the version you downloaded.)
For information about how to access your account using FTP, please see this article
- Use cPanel to create a MySQL database and database user for the application. You will need this information during the web configuration process.
For information about how to create a MySQL database and user, please see this article
- Use your web browser to go to the Symphony installation URL, which is your domain name followed by install (for example, http://www.example.com/install). The installation page appears.
- Under Website Preferences, in the Name text box, type the name of your web site.
- Under Date and Time, select the date and time settings for your web site.
- Under Database Connection, in the Database text box, type the name of the database you created in step 4.
Remember that the database name begins with your username. For example, if you create a database named symphony, the full database name is username_symphony, where username represents your account username.
- In the Username text box, type the name of the database user that you created in step 4.
Remember that the database username begins with your username. For example, if you create a database user named symphony, the full database username is username_symphony, where username represents your account username.
- In the Password text box, type the password for the database user that you created in step 4.
- Under User Information, in the Username text box, type a username for the web site. You will use this username to log in to Symphony as the administrator.
- In the Password and Confirm Password text boxes, type a password for the user.
- Under Personal Information, in the First Name and Last Name text boxes, type the user's name.
- In the Email Address text box, type the user's e-mail address.
- Click Install Symphony.
- When installation completes, click Ok, now take me to the login page. At the login page, use the username and password you specified in steps 11 and 12 to log in.
For more information about Symphony, please visit http://www.getsymphony.com.