How to manually install X-Cart
This article describes how to manually install the X-Cart e-commerce application on your A2 Hosting account.
You can install X-Cart on your account for evaluation purposes and to develop an e-commerce application. To use X-Cart for actual sales, however, you must purchase a license.
X-Cart is compatible with all A2 Hosting accounts. However, you must install it manually.
Although A2 Hosting servers are compatible with a wide variety of software applications, we cannot provide troubleshooting assistance for application-specific issues.
To install X-Cart, follow these steps:
- Download the X-Cart application at http://www.x-cart.com/download.html to your computer.
- Extract the .zip file on your computer. You should now have a folder named xcart.
- Use FTP to upload the contents of the xcart folder (but not the xcart folder itself) to the public_html directory of your A2 Hosting account. For information about how to access your account using FTP, please see this article.
Alternatively, you can upload the X-Cart files to a subdirectory located beneath the public_html directory. The following steps assume, however, that you are uploading the files to the document root (public_html) directory.
- Use cPanel to create a MySQL database and database user for X-Cart. You will need this information during the web configuration process.
For information about how to create a MySQL database and user, please see this article
- Use your web browser to go to the installation URL. The installation URL is one of the following:
- If you are installing X-Cart in the domain's document root (public_html) directory, use http://www.example.com/install.php, where example.com represents your domain name.
- If you are installing X-Cart in a subdirectory, use http://www.example.com/DIRECTORY/install.php, where example.com represents your domain name, and DIRECTORY represents the path to the X-Cart application files.
- Select the I accept the License Agreement check box, and then click .
The Checking PHP configuration page appears. It should indicate Passed.
You may receive a “non-critical” dependency error regarding the fopen
function. To allow X-Cart to open remote files, enable the allow_url_fopen
directive in a php.ini file. For more information about how to do this, please see this article
- Click Preparing to install X-Cart page appears.. The
- Confirm that the Server host name and Secure server host name text boxes contain the correct values.
- Confirm that the X-Cart web directory text box contains the correct directory for where you want to install X-Cart.
- Confirm that the MySQL host name text box contains the value localhost:/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.
- In the MySQL database name text box, type the name of the database you created in step 4. The database name is in the format username_dbname, where username represents your account username, and dbname represents the name of the database you created.
- In the MySQL user name text box, type the database username that you created in step 4. The database username is in the format username_dbusername, where username represents your account username, and dbusername represents the database user you created.
- In the MySQL password text box, type the password for the database user.
- In the Your e-mail address text box, type a valid e-mail address.
- Click .
Select the security profile you want for the installation.
- In the Languages list box, select the language or languages that you want to install.
- In the States table list box, select the country or countries that you will use in the application.
- To use pre-configured settings for a country, select the country in the Configuration settings list box.
- To install sample data, select Yes in the Example data list box.
- Click . X-Cart installs the database.
- Click Layout Settings page appears.. The
- Select a skin, and then click .
- Review the layout, and then click PayPal payment processing page appears.. The
- To enable PayPal processing, select Yes. Otherwise, click No, and then click .
- On the Generating a system fingerprint page, select No, and then click .
The Installation complete page appears, which includes administration login credentials and other configuration details:
- To view the X-Cart front page for your site, click Customer area.
- To view the X-Cart administrator page, click Administrator area and use the login information provided.
For more information about X-Cart, please visit http://www.x-cart.com.